About Barbara Gittings Delaware Stonewall Democrats
The Barbara Gittings Delaware Stonewall Democrats, formerly Delaware Stonewall Democratic Club (name formally changed during our 2011 Annual Membership Meeting), organized on February 1, 2003, as a 501(c) 4 nonprofit chapter of the National Stonewall Democrats.
National Stonewall Democrats, with chapters throughout the United States, is America’s only grassroots Democratic LGBT organization.
Stonewall Democrats on the national and state levels take their name from the Stonewall Inn in New York City, the scene of a 1969 confrontation between gay patrons and an intolerant society.
The patrons that June, having had enough harassment, took an historic stand against hatred and discrimination. A three-day riot inspired a revolution that has been a rallying point of our community for over a quarter century. President Clinton had the Stonewall Inn declared an official national historic site.
It’s mission is to secure for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people the equal human rights guaranteed to all citizens by the Constitution of the United States and the laws of the State of Delaware; to foster the ideals of the Democratic Party; and to contribute to the Party’s growth and influence.
- Support legislative initiatives protecting and enhancing the rights of the LGBT community
- Build bridges to Delaware Democratic Party leaders and elected officials
- Ensure LGBT inclusion in all aspects of the Delaware Democratic party
- Build coalitions with other groups in support of our issues
- Serve as a media resource for LGBT issues in Delaware
- Educate the public and elected officials on issues important to our community